Saturday 20 April 2013

Worthing 20

Sunday 10th March 2013, Mothers Day again. I really hope this event doesn't clash with mothers day every year, Sam has been pretty understanding to date but I'm not sure how much more she can take !!

The Worthing 20 is a local and small event organised by my club the Worthing Harriers www.worthingharriers.com.  Its a great run which consists of 4 x 5m loops of Goring by Sea. Ok so its a bit repetitive but the marshalls are great and you get to see their friendly faces regularly.

My aim was simple, just to see how well I could do. I had a terrible run last thursday and felt dreadful afterwards so wasn't expecting a great deal. The sunday morning was very windy and of course the run started straight into it :-) I quickly picked out a group who were running a 3hr marathon pace and I decided to hold on as long as i could. Unbelievably by the end it was just me and a couple of others. I had a great race, spurred on by the support of club marshalls and I finished in 2:15:24. Throughout the race I ran with a bottle and didn't take any gels. It seemed to work pretty well but I'm not sure I want the pressure of carrying one at Brighton.

While this is a great time with an av pace of 6:46/m and something to be proud of I'm now in a dilema of what to do at Brighton. I'm so close to a sub 3hr time, could I hold that pace for another 6.2 miles? what to do, what to do????

No comments:

Post a Comment