Monday 24 February 2014

Pilgrim Challenge, day 1

Multi day ultras are something I know I should do in order to train for the Marathon des sables, however before The Pilgrim Challenge I  hadn't completed any. I have done long back to back runs but even these have been lacking the 20-20's routine I should be expecting to complete.

The pilgrim challenge was a great way to rectify this problem while testing myself both physically and mentally.


The Pilgrim Challenge is a point to point ultra organised by those nice guys at XNRG. 33 miles along the north downs way from Farnham to Mersham, a stop over and return the next day following the same route but in reverse. A really beautiful setting, some amazing scenery and 99.9% off road, good times :-)

I arrived early for this race on Saturday 1st February (the day after my birthday,  and I've been alcohol free all this year so far) as I seem to have a habit of turning up late !! After storing my overnight bag in the truck I milled around in the registration tent, drinking coffee and waiting for people. Rory Coleman arrived early with Jennifer Salter his wife. Rory is a marathon, ultra and MDS veteran, Jen I believe races for team GB.  They both offer a coaching service and Rory was gracious enough to start me on my MDS journey.

Emma Waterfall was to be my running buddy. She introduced me to Abi and Allie. The race start was nice and informal in the field outside the registration tent, lots of us milling around talking about our experiences and getting acquainted.  The race is so friendly it has categories for walkers, runners and elite. There were even a couple running with dogs on day 2. The walkers had already started when we came out of the tent, the elite would be an hour behind us. I had originally been allocated the elite start but I was still feeling ruined from The Dark Star so after confirming I could run with Emma I organised an earlier start with the race organisers. (I still can't believe how tiring the Dark Star was)

Believe it or not it was sunny when we started. The ground was boggy and very wet, we were straight across muddy fields and I was immediately glad the I had 1) worn running gaiters and 2) worn gore text trainers. I'm currently wearing Brooks Adrenaline ASR, they are great and the off road version of my mds trainers.
The whole of the 33 miles was a mixture of mud, sludge and water. Much of it was simply 2-3" deep mud trails which were very difficult to keep up a rhythm, much the same as last weekend. Slip sliding from side to side is getting very old now and I'm losing my patience. There was plenty of rest stops en route however offering, pretzels, 9 bars, haribo and more. All the staff were full of smiles mm and they kept us going.
Emma Ali and I stayed together throughout the entire route and it was great. When I felt low (as can be the case on ultras) I just listened to the girls and it really helped the miles drift past. When the elite guys passed us during the race I felt like I was just stood still, amazing what they can do, Danny Kendall enlightened us later.

After 6hrs 18 minutes we arrived at the finish and our stop for the evening. I was glad to be done. Emma is a great runner with bags more endurance than I but I naturally run a bit faster than her. Running slower made for a great mental battle and later Rory was pleased I had taken this option as he said that's what you need to do to prepare for the Mds.I keep telling myself that this mental toughness is what I will need in the MdS.


After cleaning myself up a little I found a bed space on the floor in the gym and went through the post race routine. Protein, water, snacks etc. Food was laid on for us and following this there were speeches from in particular Danny Kendall, no relation). Danny came 10th at the Mds last year, has a marathon PB of around 2:35 and won the Pilgrim Challenge last year. A great inspiration. Believe it or not he had already ran 60-80 miles in the 5 days proceeding the Pilgrims.

No comments:

Post a Comment