Monday 12 May 2014

A Big Thank You

To all my friends and family, anonymous donators and anyone who helped me on my way over the last two years this is for you.

A real heart felt thank you is sent from me to you.

The 2014 Marathon des Sables has now come and gone, a mere memory which I relieve through stories, pictures and the odd bit of cramp as I try to go for a run. Getting to the start line was a true adventure in itself and I completely agree with those who say that getting to the start line of any event, having completed your training and being without injury is 95% of the battle. 

Getting to my start line began 2 years ago, I'm not trying to be dramatic but thats when I entered and set my mind on the goal. I went for coaching sessions, focused my Marathon goals and built up to ultra distances so that by New Year 2014 I was ready to push things one step further.

My training can be seen on my blog www.scottisrunning.gmail.co.uk but what can't be seen is all the assistance that I had along the way. Encouragement from friends and fellow runners, support from Sam and Poppy when I was always away from home and even support from work colleagues when I talked running non stop and hit the gym or went for a run whenever possible. 

When people ask me about the MDS I find it incredibly difficult to sum it up. It was a race, it was a week away running great distances in the sunshine, it was all that and more, but what it also was, was endless running in the cold and dark when others were in bed, taking days off work to go away competing, getting up early and missing the school run, getting home late and missing story time and also not seeing friends for a long long time because I have just been too busy.

I couldn't have done all of this without the love of my family and the support of those around me so for that I am truly grateful. Whilst away I received many of your messages, these were a real boost and kept me going, never underestimate the value of a few kind words.

Now its over I want to readdress the balance in my life a little. I'm going to try and spend a little more time at home and I'm going to try and catch up with friends before they are lost for good. 

I am really happy to report that with gift aid we have together raised over £1085 for The Chestnut Tree House charity. This really has added icing to the cake and I want to express my heart felt thanks for your generosity. Thank you.

My just giving page www.justgiving/scottmds2014 will remain open for a little longer until I have completed my next little event. Its a last minute addition to the calendar before I take a much needed break but on June 14th I will be running the South Downs Way 100, 100 miles on foot in a single stage event. It must be completed in under 30 hours!! Check it out at www.centurionrunning.com

Am I mad, quite possibly but hopefully the endurance is there so I figured what the heck. Thank you and and hopefully I'll see you out on the trail....

No comments:

Post a Comment