Thursday 9 January 2014

The Brecon Beacons Ultra

Marcus Escott said something interesting after he completed the Druid Challenge last week ...
Just remember, all it is is a run. It's just a long one :)

It's only 3 weeks after Amsterdam so there isn't time to train specific, instead I decided to crack
out the trail trainers, don the head torch and simply get out on the trail. I ran 3-4 times per week
covering 6 to 16 miles, I took it really steady, left my watch at home and started to enjoy
running again ;-).

The 15th November came around in no time at all so headed off to wales all on my lonesome. It
was a strange feeling heading so far away from home and not knowing anyone at the other end, I
didn't even have anywhere to stay as I was cost saving so my car was loaded with food duvets
and sleeping bags.

The guys who organise the 46 mile Brecon ultra also own 'Likeys.com'. A great place to buy all
your running kit, they have been so successful that they are one of the few online retailers who
have been able to expand to a high street store which is situated in Brecon. I headed to the very
helpful and friendly store on Friday and collected my race number plus a few goodies. I found
somewhere to keep out of everyone's way and I crashed for the night. The race starts at 0730 so
it's an early start for breakfast which was a porridge pot and a banana. Having never run an ultra
before I'm a bit unsure of my eating /fuelling strategy and particularly my pacing strategy.
I was wearing my WAA pack which I will have for the MdS, one bottle held water, the other gels
and I had 2 energy bars in my rain cover pouch. As the Weather in the Beacons can be very
unpredictable there is a strict kit requirement, including torch, batteries, waterproof top and
bottoms, hat, gloves, first aid kit and map. My bag held this with masses of extra space, what I
wanted to do however was to keep the weight manageable for my first really long outing. A few guys
had bum bags and I struggled to see how their kit would fit but I presume it did as a spot check
could be disqualification if any items are missing.

I set myself the goal of completing this crazy task before I would need to break out the head torch. Realistic? I had no idea but what they hey. Mustering at the start was very different to one of my usual races, lots of
banter, meeting new people but no stress that usually gets me going. This was refreshing and I
liked it. We were off in a matter of minutes heading almost single file down the tow path. After a mile or
so I checked my pace at 9:30/m and this freaked me out. It was slow very slow, should I speed
up? Should I push on? Then I thought to myself, treat the 2 lap race like 2 halves. Get round the
first then assess the second later. So I did. I pushed up my pace and passed quite a few
runners. The tow path ended after 3 miles or so and the hill of hills began. I had been warned
about false summits so I started to walk as did the others. It was a hell of a climb and even on a
great day running it would have been tough. As it was I chatted to fellow runners and took in the
amazing scenery that was on offer. As we reached the final summit we were above the clouds
and it was magical. Someone from likeys has made the journey and was taking photos, there
was even a guy camped out on top with his son, amazing.

Apart from this first hill I tried to run as much of the first lap as possible. I even left behind guys
who were happy to chat as I didn't feel they were going quick enough. I felt bad about that but
wanted to stick to my goal of assessing myself after the first lap. We saw a bunch of military
guys coming down from one of the peaks, they looked like they had been to hell and back, It
reminded me of the pre selection Bear Grylls went through for the SAS reserves and I wondered
if they had been doing the same.

For the second half of the first lap I ran with a lady called Emily Canvin. A superfit cookie who
gave me lots of great advice and kept me going right through to the halfway checkpoint. I never
got to say thanks Emily but I really did appreciate it. Following a short stop at halfway I was off again and this time the tow path was tougher. I was overtaken by Diane Roy but that was ok as I tried to keep her within sight for as long as I could. This I managed pretty much until the halfway climb on lap 2. Here I hooked up with Mr cheese sandwich and Richard Lendon. Richard is an ultra veteran and an MdS finisher so we chatted the whole way home and crossed the line arm in arm (in the daylight I might add).

What a great day out, an amazing sense of achievement. I joined others at the pub afterwards
for the obligatory pub quiz and was warmed at the feeling of family this lot had. Special thanks go
the the girls from check point 1 who gave me some much needed motivation on lap 2 when they
said I was in 20th place. It wasn't quite right but I didn't know that and it gave me the boost I
needed.

What did I learn from my first ultra ...
* My pack rubbed, I didn't realise until in the shower but zinc oxide tape for the MdS me thinks,
overall the pack was great and very comfortable
* My trainers worked well, Brooks Adrenaline (off road)
* Injinji toe socks worked
* Food 1 x gel per hour and energy bar at halfway worked but I won't be able to carry this much
for the MdS

2 days later while sitting on the sofa I'm off work ill. The cold that I was holding away last week
managed to get through and it'knocked me for four. Need to make sure I don't overdo it in future
in training and maybe my body will be more resilient.


No comments:

Post a Comment